We found a way to help all our readers keep warm during this winter. Put aside all those canned soups, and spice up your cuisine a bit with some good ol' homemade Chili. We're not talkin' about any ol' chili now. This is chili made desi style.
It is actually called Rajma and it is made with red kidney beans. Coincidentally, red kidney beans are called Rajma in Hindi specifically because of this dish. It is made with just the right amount of spices, protein, and carbohydrates to create a good wholesome meal for the season.
So go ahead, try your hand at this dish and warm up your tummy.
Ingredients for Serving size of 6:
- 1 pound 13 ounces (822g) Goya Red Kidney beans
- 1 medium Potato, (microwaved for 3 min)
- 1 large Red Onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 ½ cups Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Fresh Coriander, chopped for garnish (Optional)
1) Pour the beans from the can into a colander and wash them thoroughly under running water & drain.
2) Peel the potato and cut into cubes.
3) Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan, add jeera and when it starts to sizzle add grated onion. Saute it until golden brown; add ginger garlic paste, turmeric & chili powder. Mix well.
4) Add crushed tomato into the mixture and stir it for 2-3 minutes until the raw taste is gone. Now
add the beans and the potato cubes and mix. Add salt, garam masala, and some water to the desired consistency. Cook well under low-medium heat for 10 – 15min.
5) If using a pressure cooker instead of the saucepan, pressure cook for 10 minutes.
Now the rajma is ready to be served. Grab a bowl full with a side of rotis or naan as your bread for dipping. It can also be eaten with hot jeera rice or plain basmati rice. We served this dish at Thanksgiving as well and it was an instant hit and all gone by the end of dinner.