We're celebrating International Hot and Spicy Food Day with Dosaavakaya or Spicy Yellow Cucumber Pickle.
Pickling vegetables is very common in South India with its origin in Andhra Pradesh. We pickle our vegetables using a variety of spices including mustard seeds, powdered red chilies and oil. The most popular type is mango pickle made with green mangoes called Aavakaya. Other vegetables and/or fruits we pickle are lemon, lime, garlic, ginger, Indian gooseberry and yellow cucumber (Dosakaya) etc.
Below is an easy recipe for making Dosavakai or Spicy Yellow Cucumber Pickle. This pickle goes well with warm plain rice.
- 1 medium Dosakaya (pictured above), chopped with peel into 1/2" cubes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp Vijay Pickle Masala Mix* (as shown in picture above)
Ingredients for seasoning
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Methi seeds (also known as Fenugreek seeds)
- a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
|Dosaavakaya mixed with plain white rice and oil|
- Vijay Pickle Masala Mix is made with Chili powder, Turmeric, Mustard powder, Fenugreek, Asafoetida, and salt. It can be found at most Indian grocers like Patel Brothers, Subji Mandi or Delight Bazaar.